On February 18th, 2020, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is looking for public comment on identifying additional steps to address the lung injuries associated with the use of vapor products.
We need your help! Here is the link to access the commenting (which will be available 02/18/2020): https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2020/02/18/2020-03160/request-for-information-vaping-products-associated-with-lung-injuries
Let's do a copy and paste idea.
"Thank you for taking the time to request public comment on such an important issue. Here are some directions I believe would be beneficial for identifying additional steps to address the lung injuries associated with the use of vapor products.
1. Understand and recognize that flavored nicotine e-liquids are not the issue at hand. The CDC has pointed out that Vitamin E Acetate in illicit THC cartridges are to blame for the majority of lung injuries.
2. Understand and recognize that roughly thirteen million adults in the United States use flavored nicotine e-liquids as a way to quit using traditional tobacco products.
3. Understand and recognize that the age of purchase has increased from 18 to 21 years of age per the FDA. Vape shops are requesting for identification scanners (I.D. scanners) to ensure the sale is to a person with a valid government I.D.
4. Understand and recognize that the pre-market tobacco authorization (PMTA) will affect roughly 150,000 small businesses. These small businesses allow for the legal and safe sale of flavored nicotine e-liquid products. If these businesses were to close, a large black market of "do it yourself" (D.I.Y) e-liquids would emerge, causing the potential for more lung injuries and deaths due to lack of regulation. PMTA costs are too expensive for small businesses to afford. PMTA costs for larger companies may be feasible, but would create a skyrocketing cost for a consumer to purchase. PMTA needs to be reformed for companies to continue to thrive.
5. Understand and recognize that third party marketplaces such as Amazon, eBay, Alibaba, etc. are not doing age verification and allowing for minors under the age of 21 to purchase products. Third party vendors should be prohibited to sell nicotine and/or THC products. Websites that are exclusively nicotine vapor product related should have strict age restriction and verification.
6. Understand and recognize that "high nicotine" products (24mg-50mg (2.4%-5.0%)) help adult users quit using tobacco products. Restrict the sale of "high nicotine" products to vape shops only.
7. End "straw man" sellers. Make it illegal for people to sell, barter for and/or exchange tobacco and/or nicotine vapor products if they are not licensed to do such.
8. End bulk purchasing. Create a limit of 2 devices per person per transaction, and up to 5 bottles of e-liquids per person per transaction. Bottle limit size: 120mL. Devices: full set up. A full set up would be a box mod, tank, batteries and coils.
These changes will allow for small businesses to continue to thrive will ensuring that people are not getting hurt. Our goal in the vapor industry is to help people get away from tobacco products, which are known to cause various diseases such as cancer, COPD, and heart disease.
My name is (x). I used tobacco products for (x amount of time). I quit using tobacco products using (insert flavor) e-liquid at (insert nicotine level). I have been vaping for (x amount of time). Vaping has given me the opportunity to live my life again without shortness of breath, coughing, chest pain and the smell of tobacco products. My family is grateful for my success in quitting tobacco products. My life has improved significantly since quitting tobacco products, and I owe that to vaping flavored nicotine e-liquids. My story isn't the only one, there are thirteen million people in the United States who feel the same way.
Thank you for your time. I hope that the FDA recognizes and acknowledges the life saving technology that vaping is. The United Kingdom has recognized how beneficial vaping is, to the point that they allow vaping in their hospitals. Please understand how incredible this technology is."
Copy and paste that! Share it with your friends, your family, your co-workers, your fellow vapers...everyone! The FDA wants public comment, let's make it KNOWN that we aren't playing games!
As always, feel free to email me, DM me on Twitter, DM me on Instagram, or message me on Facebook!
Keep calm and vape on,